What is Exfoliation?
Exfoliation is the removal of the old dead skin cells on the top layer of your skin. Exfoliation helps to bring forward the new skin cells by removing the old ones. This gives us the ‘soft’ feeling when we touch our face.
This wondrous honey scrub doesn’t just scrub away your dead skin, it does many other things. Firstly it heals your skin. Honey is a very calming product and it soothes your skin as well as help it to create that lovely healthy glow we all want. Honey also has anti-bacterial properties so it helps with the treatment and prevention of acne, it also gets rid of those horribly ugly acne scars and helps with ageing.
The second thing that this fantastic scrub does is moisturise. This is achieved through the use of not only the honey but by the olive oil as well.
The last benefit that this scrub can give you is up to you depending on how you make it. As you will see below, you can either use lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. If you use lemon juice, the lemon will help to tighten your pores. If you use apple cider vinegar, the vinegar will level out the Ph. level in your skin, meaning your skin will no longer be too dry or too oily but just right.
- Olive oil
- Granulated Sugar or Oatmeal (whichever is hanging around in your kitchen cupboards)
- Lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- Mix 2 tablespoons of honey with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and half a lemon / 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Add ½ – 1 teaspoon of sugar/oatmeal. I generally just keep adding until I get it to the consistency that I want it. You can do the same or just follow my recommendations.
- Mix gently
- Apply to skin. I suggest whipping your skin with a warm cloth first.
- Rub in a circular motion for 30-60 seconds or you can leave it on like a mask for 1 minute and rub it in every couple of seconds.
- Wash off with your hands.
I suggest that you don’t use a face cloth as face cloths tend to store lots of oil residue, which you will just end up putting back on your skin so I suggest using your hands.
- Rinse of with cold water
- Lastly put a LITTLE bit of cream on (this is optional)
For those of you who didn’t know, every time you wash your face you should do the final rinse with cold water. The reason for this is when we wash our faces we open up our pores in order to wash out all the dirt, if we leave our pores open after washing they are more prone to getting clogged with dirt and bacteria. What rinsing off with cold water does is it tightens your pores so you don’t get dirt clogging them and all your hard work won’t go to waste.
The amount generally can last anywhere from 2 – 4 months depending on how often you use it. I wouldn’t recommend using it more than 3 times a week as it can over expose your skin to the apple cider vinegar and mess with your skin. Store it preferably in a glass container.
*NB: Don’t freak out if it separates, it WILL do this so just give it a mix before you use it again*